FLY TO THE LINE - GLIDER CHALLENGE - GLOBAL CHALLENGE
Welcome to Fly to the Line - the Glider Challenge.
The Challenge is for class/grade 4-6 students and can be run by any school anywhere on earth.
About the Fly To The Line competition
The Glider Challenge offers schools a unique opportunity to begin to engage students with STEM subjects.
The competition is developed by The Learning Partnership and RAF Museum Cosford in the UK & can be run by any school on the planet with a single STEM box of resources all available from our shop for under USD75.00. The competition and supporting curriculum resources are designed to help equip students with the skills, knowledge and experience that they will need to embrace and tackle the global opportunities and challenges of tomorrow.
The project is fully resourced with lesson plans, printable's and activity guides made available here online on the Dendrite STEM Education Community.
What do teachers say about it?
It was an amazing experience, I took a team of two girls to the National finals, not once have they asked where they finished, they were taken over by the experience. It didn't matter if they first or last.
Mark Parry, Elm Green School
The competition is a refreshing change from normal STEM activities, the competition element fired the pupils up to test and evaluate then to improve. Pupil of all abilities could access the competition, and everyone was on an equal footing.
Richard Mansfield, Rose Hill School (Pilot Season)
It is a well-resourced activity that can be ran over a lunchtime club or as a series of lessons. It stimulates the children like nothing else, allows every child to partake regardless of ability.
Richard Mansfield, Rose Hill School (Season 1)
Fantastic opportunity. Well worth having a go. So much fun for the children and adults involved. We loved it and the children got so much out of it.
Jodie Blincow, St, Mary’s Catholic Primary School
A highly engaging project, sufficiently challenging along with superb partnerships and expert support .
Helen Brougham, Moorshouse Primary
It's a great opportunity to apply stem skills to a purposeful activity
Claire Williams, Newcastle School For Girls
Fly to the line is an experience that will bring STEAM Education alive, Children have control of their own designs and will learn, initially through failure, how to succeed. It is safe and affordable for everyone to join in, it was a truly diverse and inclusive experience for us, with disabled site access and needs all being catered for. The whole process was a challenge, but was thoroughly enjoyed, from the first build to competition. We will be back for Season 2. I would encourage other Educators to step out of their comfort zone and discover the magic of flight, it is an experience you will all gain new skills from, whilst having lots of fun too.
Amanda Harvey, Home Educator
How the competition works:
- Use the guidance and ideas in the content areas below to design, build and test gliders through the Spring and early Summer terms. There is a variety of additional lesson content you can use from now to explore key principles.
- Hold an in-school glider flying competition, providing opportunities for students to refine their designs and launching skills. Notes and a video presentation for this are in the content areas below.
- Where there is an established national competion in your country
- the team/s (one team of up to 4 from each registered class at the school) with the best distance flying glider is invited to represent their school at the regional finals to be held at the regional Hub in May or early June.
- At the regional and national finals, students will get the opportunity to learn more about flight and will design and compete with new glider designs they make there (all tools and resources provided)
- Where there is no established national competition, and you are part of a network of schools, we can set you up a network wide virtual competition with shared leaderboard.
Further details are in the teacher guide which you can download below.
What does it cost?
- School Registration Fee (For a FTTL 10 team Box) - USD 75.00
What do i get?
- 10 A3 biodegradable foam sheets
- 1 x ceramic blade safety knife
- 1 x standard launcher design
- teaching materials
Where can I get more help or information?
The resources in the sections below contain lots of information to help you manage taking part in the competition.
You can use the message forum here to ask questions. If you post in the 'ask the experts' section, Learning Partnership staff are notified immediately.
If have other problems, you can get more help and information via email@example.com