FLY TO THE LINE INDIA - GLIDER CHALLENGE - CLASS 5
Welcome to Fly to the Line - the Glider Challenge for Class 5
About the Fly To The Line competition
The Glider Challenge offers Class 5 students in Indian Schools a unique opportunity to begin to engage students with STEM subjects.
The competition is developed by The Learning Partnership and RAF Museum Cosford in the UK & run by Juana Technologies in India to engage as many young people as possible with an authentic Science and Engineering challenge. The competition and supporting curriculum resources are designed to help equip students with the skills, knowledge and experience that they will need to embrace and tackle the global opportunities and challenges of tomorrow.
The project is fully resourced with lesson plans, printable's and activity guides made available here online on the Dendrite STEM Education Community.
How the competition works:
- Use the guidance and ideas in the content areas below to design, build and test gliders through the Spring and early Summer terms. There is a variety of additional lesson content you can use from now to explore key principles.
- Hold an in-school glider flying competition, providing opportunities for students to refine their designs and launching skills. Notes and a video presentation for this are in the content areas below.
- The team/s (one team of up to 4 from each registered class at the school) with the best distance flying glider is invited to represent their school at the regional finals to be held at the regional Hub in May or early June.
- At the regional and national finals, students will get the opportunity to learn more about flight and will design and compete with new glider designs they make there (all tools and resources provided) Note: Large schools can elect to pay for more than one team entry to allow teams from more than one class to attend.
Season 1 Timeline
- Registration: 1st July 2018 - 10th October 2018
- Qualification Races: 1st August 2018 - 15th October 2018
- Regional Race: 15th October 2018 - 30th October 2018
- Registration: 1st October 2018 - 05th January 2019
- Qualification Races: 1st November 2018 - 10th January 2019
- Regional Race: January 2019
Nationals: February 2019
Further details are in the teacher guide which you can download below.
What does it cost?
- School Registration Fee (For a Single Competition) - INR 5000
- School Registration Fee (For Both Competitions) - INR 7500 (see www.racefortheline.in for the CLASS 7 model rocket car competition available)
- Student Registration Fee (For FTTL) - INR 400
Where can I get more help or information?
The resources in the sections below contain lots of information to help you manage taking part in the competition. There is a map of all the regional flight Hubs and participating schools will be added as they register if schools want to coordinate on travel, etc.
You can use the message forum here to ask questions. If you post in the 'ask the experts' section, Learning Partnership staff are notified immediately.
If have other problems, you can get also more help and information via email@example.com